Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Here we go again...

Someone wrote to Today complaining that small dogs should also be leashed and the reply is as follows :

Be a responsible pet owner

I have no problem about the leashing part but again the part about bringing your pet to eating places has irked me. Again their reasons are due to "hygiene".

If you are having a guide dog then things are different - it's allowed at eating places. But they are quick to add that "operators of food establishments can exercise their discretion whether to allow guide dogs on their premises".

Furthermore, NEA & AVA feels that "
being well trained, a guide dog is not likely to compromise public hygiene practices in food shops and hawker centres, so long as it is harnessed and kept at the owner's side at all times".

If you want a dog to sit quietly by your side while you have your meal, I can think of at least 2 dogs capable of doing that (provided no crab & "har jion kai"/prawn paste chicken is in the vicinity - but I digress). In fact, if you look around, most dogs brought to eating places are within reasonable control.

Behaviour aside, my dog is as healthy and clean as any other guide dog. So what "hygiene practices" am I "compromising"?

It has been said that Singapore's law are "draconian" and in this case, I can't help but feel that it's true. I'm not a hardcore animal rights activist but in this instance, I strongly feel that my dog do have a right to go to any eating places with me as I do not agree with both the agency's reasoning.

No comments: